Using Disposable Respirators
Disposable respirators have been in short supply recently and we have seen a surge in the requirement for masks.
Whether your preference is a valved mask or non valved masks, how you put them on properly can often be an issue.
We are part of the TTS family, which includes Training and Testing Services. A fit2fit accredited face fit testing company. As part of our face fit testing process we train people how to don and doff their masks prior to conducting a face fit test.
The HSE (Health and Safety Executive) give guidance on the face fit testing basics (link below) and they state:
Where respiratory protective equipment (RPE) is used, it must be able to provide adequate protection for individual wearers. RPE can't protect the wearer if it leaks. A major cause of leaks is poor fit – tight-fitting facepieces need to fit the wearer’s face to be effective.
As people come in all sorts of shapes and sizes it is unlikely that one particular type or size of RPE facepiece will fit everyone. Fit testing will ensure that the equipment selected is suitable for the wearer.
In addition to this, the HSE have a useful poster which runs through putting the disposable respirator on https://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/disposable-respirator.pdf
When using a disposable respirator, you need to make sure it is fit for purpose and conduct a pre-use check.
- You should be clean-shaven around the face seal to achieve an effective fit when using disposable respirators. Beards and stubble will stop the disposable respirator sealing to your face and protecting you properly.
- Make sure it is the right disposable respirator for your work and for you - have you passed a face fit test in this disposable respirator?
- Make sure the disposable respirator is clean and undamaged before you use it.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for checking the disposable respirator and putting it on.
- Check the fit every time you put on the disposable respirator to ensure there are no leaks.
Many industries prefer disposable masks, they require no maintenance checks like reusable respirators, they can be disposed of after use, they are lightweight in comparison the their reusable counterparts.
Whether you require the masks for medical/healthcare use or non-healthcare work there is a mask to suit your requirements.
Feel free to take a look at our current range of disposable masks. All of which have been tried and tested, are fully compliant.
In recent months very good (and very bad) examples of counterfeit masks have flooded the UK market. We will only supply masks from reputable manufacturers who we have worked with for many years and have provided the declaration of conformity. You have peace of mind that if you buy from us you are buying quality, compliant products at realistic prices.
If you have any queries please feel free to contact us or email our team at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be more than happy to help.